The Telephone Box Lending Library in the village square is open 🙂 You may now borrow and/or exchange your books there. Although monitored, users are asked to please help keep it tidy and enjoy it!
Chris Edgerley, who restored and refurbished the box with the help of Malcolm Heaver, has provided the following facts and information, which it is hoped to have displayed inside the box in the future…
GPO Telephone Box model K6
1935 – 1970
- The fabric of the kiosk is mostly cast metal but the door is teak wood.
- The total number produced = 162,000 units.
- It is 8’3″ (2.51m) tall.
- It weighs 13.5 cwt (686Kg).
- Most were painted red but a limited number were painted grey.
- Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V.
- Bought for £1 from British Telecom by Broadwindsor Group Parish Council.
- Sympathetically refurbished for the Residents and visitors to Broadwindsor.
- Etched glass effect by Karen and Godfrey at Bridport Banners.