Broadwindsor Fun Day – Sunday, 25th June

The theme of this year’s Scarecrow competition is ‘Wartime Farming Life‘. It’s only £1 to enter and forms can be picked up from our village shop, Broadwindsor Community Stores, The White Lion Community pub or may be downloaded HERE.

Here is what to expect from midday on Sunday, 25th June…

  • 12 noon: Childrens’ Fancy Dress Parade
  • 12.15pm: Welcome & Opening
  • 12.25pm: W.I. Refreshments until 2/2.30pm
  • 12.25pm: Stalls & Games open until 4pm
  • 12.30pm: Strawberry Jam – Children’s Entertainer
  • 1pm: Bar opens
  • 1pm: BBQ opens until 5.30pm (or sold out)
  • 2pm: Live Music from Nina Garcia
  • 4.30pm: Live Music from Bridport Broadsides Shanty Crew
  • 5.30pm: Interval – Prize giving & Hamper Raffle
  • 6.15pm: Close
  • At 7pm

Enjoy a fantastic evening
of fun and frolics with Ceilidh’s Comet, who specialise in playing traditional barn dance music from the UK and Europe, creating a lively, friendly, fun atmosphere and a wonderful way to end this year’s Fun Day 🙂 A bar will be available.
All tickets are £5, available from Broadwindsor Community Stores and the White Lion.

Broadwindsor Fun Group

Please address all your enquiries to:



The Comrades Hall Celebrate Their Own Platinum Jubilee

The Comrades Hall in Broadwindsor celebrates its own Platinum Jubilee this year!

On Saturday, 19th November, celebrations start with a coffee morning at 10.30am, there will be much memorabilia on display and a raffle will be held.
In the evening, from 7.30 – 10pm, there will be a Barn Dance 🙂 :

  • Music provided by ‘Crooked Furrow‘.
  • Bar Available.
  • Tickets: £10, to include a hot snack.
  • Under 12s: £5
  • On Sale at Broadwindsor Community Stores
    & The Post Office on Tuesday & Friday mornings.

The land was Glebe land belonging to General Pinney of Racedown. The life of the Comrades Hall begins when members of the British Legion obtained the barn from the Pinneys. They borrowed £200.00 and converted it into a Hall which was used by the parish for many events.  Prior to this, events had been held in ‘The Old Schoolhouse‘ opposite. There is a photograph of the men of the British Legion – all of them Comrades together and that is how the Hall got the name ‘Comrades Hall‘.

On 25th November, 1952 – the British Legion returned the Hall to Lady Pinney and on that same day, she made a Deed of Gift…

This was completed in July the following year, with the Charity Commissioners & Trustees, giving the Hall and ground known as Bernards’ Place to the Parishes of Broadwindsor and Burstock. (Charity number: 301110).

On 5th December, 1952 – the first meeting of what became known as the Comrades Hall Committee involved four local families:

  • Dorothy Shiner
  • Mr. Boucher
  • William Pascoe
  • and a Miss Curtis

The 12 members at that time, remained the governing body until April 1953 when 21 members would be elected at their first AGM. It was then specified that:

  • The Management Committee should be no less than 20.
  • 5 members had to be women.
  • 2 ex-officios –  The Vicar of Broadwindsor & Headmaster of the School.
  • Every organisation in the parish had to be represented on the committee.

More historical information will appear online at in timing with the event…